Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A writing and RP group based on ElfQuest.

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Elf Genetics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anna
Holt Mistress
Anna

Character sheet
Elf Name: Nightsun
Position in Tribe: Gatherer

Elf Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Elf Genetics   Elf Genetics EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm going to try to introduce at least one topic of discussion each month, just to keep things interesting. The July topic will be elf genetics. Smile

Now, as per canon, there are conflicting ideas on how many High Ones were with Timmain. In the comics, there were six. In the BoTC books, there were many more, but an undisclosed number. Regardless, the genetic pool was limited and self-contained. After a handful of generations, you couldn't help but have everyone related to everyone else. In most cases, such inbreeding would lead to mutations and deformities. That hasn't been the case with the Wolfriders. Why? Is it that there simply haven't been enough generations to produce those mutations, or is there some other aspect of elfin genetics that safeguards them from the negative mutations caused by inbreeding?

Back to top Go down
Meimei

Meimei

Character sheet
Elf Name: Ashglow
Position in Tribe: Hunter/Guard

Elf Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elf Genetics   Elf Genetics EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 pm

I've always felt that since the palace was so big, it made since that there was many more elves than 6, like in BoTC. But that's still a limited gene pool. Well, technically we know there's only been 10 chiefs, and two were siblings. So nine generations, right? Maybe that isn't enough for elves. Plus, there was the wolf blood introduced. So that would introduce "new blood" to the group per say. Though we know all the current wolfriders trace back to Timmorn, so I guess that doesn't mean much.

So I'm going to guess it's something in the elves genetics. Since they shrunk to half their original size in 9 generations, their genes must evolve very fast. So maybe that fast evolution prevents inbreeding? Cuz each generation is that much different than the previous one? That's my suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Stormfire
Holt Mistress

Elf Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elf Genetics   Elf Genetics EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 pm

We really don't know much about elven genetics. They were a highly-evolved race, and it's entirely possible that the ones that banded together to form the basis of the Wolfriders were diverse enough to create a safe gene pool for the tribe. However, I'm going to throw in my own theory: that Timmain's shape-shifting magic was enough to keep mutations at bay for her descendents. That, and Recognition may have come into play often enough to make sure the succeeding generations had the best genetic material to pass along. Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elf Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elf Genetics   Elf Genetics Empty

Back to top Go down

Elf Genetics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Holt Information :: General Discussion-
Jump to: